Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ron Pember

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Ron Pember - once seen never forgotten. He is still alive but not well. He also used to write and I believe was involved in production as well. Wonderful actor.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    Ron Pember - once seen never forgotten. He is still alive but not well. He also used to write and I believe was involved in production as well. Wonderful actor.

Ron Pember

IMDb says that he retiired in 1992 after a stroke - he was only in his late 50s; very sad.

I remember when it seemed as if every time you switched the TV on, Ron was on it!

YDSL x.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry-Eyed

Ron Pember

IMDb says that he retiired in 1992 after a stroke - he was only in his late 50s; very sad.

I remember when it seemed as if every time you switched the TV on, Ron was on it!

YDSL x.
    I remember reading his obituary some time ago. Bizarrely, I was only thinking about Ron Pember the other day while out walking the dog. It was always a source of amusement how much he looked like Lee Van Cleef, which eventually became a running joke between him and his on-screen wife in a sitcom he was in. Darned if I can remember the title - any offers?

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Brett
    I remember reading his obituary some time ago. Bizarrely, I was only thinking about Ron Pember the other day while out walking the dog. It was always a source of amusement how much he looked like Lee Van Cleef, which eventually became a running joke between him and his on-screen wife in a sitcom he was in. Darned if I can remember the title - any offers?

Is Ron still alive, two conflicting reports??

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    Is Ron still alive, two conflicting reports??
    I suppose it is possible that the nationals might not report his death. Shame on them if they ignore him because I remember seeing a programme where he was casting one of the plays he had written and it was illuminating seeing him put the actors at ease and the way he communicated his enthusiasm and ideas to them.

Liked
    1 times
    As our discussion as to whether foxy-faced British Lee Van Cleef look-alike Ron Pember seems to have taken over the Lance Percival thread, I thought it was worth giving it a home of its own.

The thrust of the discussion is, poor old Ron appears to have retired from the acting profession after suffering a stroke in the early 1990s. I clearly remember reading an obituary of him, probably in The Guardian, around the same period.

Amazingly, I found a site, Filmreference.com, which lists a home address for him in Dagenham, but using BT.com's phone number search facility lists no Pembers in Dagenham.

I'd be very happy to be proved wrong on this one, as RP was an old favourite.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    He is still alive (as of late 2007).

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times

Ron Pember ... pictured here in The Sweeney.

Bats.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesM
    He is still alive (as of late 2007).
    I wonder if he's the Ron Pember who was in the Southend Chess Club around 2004, which came up when I searched his name and Southend?

Anyway, I'm happy to be wrong on this one and hope he's in the best possible health.

Liked
    0 times
    is it just me or did he always seem to play dodgy pub landlords???

I do remember a time when he played a pools winner and was being blackmailed/tormented, but I cannot remember which series this was whether it was Minder, Professionals or the Sweeney

Senior Member Country: UK aphra's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop
    LP does after dinner speeches to the best of my knowledge now. He did do a relief stint on Radio Cleveland (in Middlesbrough) in the mid eighties. I know this because a friend did their work experience there and Percival was permanently pissed off because he couldn't get his car into the secure works car park because his car was statistically the least likely to get pinched.
    I stood near Lance Percival in a queue outside Peter Jones on the first day of their sale in London last December. He looked fit and well...

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    I remember him when he lived in Clacton on Sea during the mid 80's and then I believe he moved back towards london and had an acting school.

Lost track of him in recent years, but a genuine, down to earth man and made many varied appearences on TV and stage.

Liked
    0 times
    I can confirm that my dad is still alive - i have read the posts with interest...never saw the obituary for him though. As said he did suffer a stroke, and yes very sad, but he is still writing and still has plays/musicals showing in smaller theatres.

The program with the Lee Van Cleef joke was High Street Blues. I think this only ran for 6 weeks as a pilot and never saw a 2nd series. Funny the Lee Van Cleef joke ran in our family for many years ! Thanks for the memory. Dad's finished writing a small autobiography, not really much about him but more about the people he has met over the years. Very interesting read - lot's I didn't know about!!

Senior Member Country: England Captain Casper's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Ron used to pop up in a hell of a lot of programs and sitcoms. His Tax Inspector in Red Dwarf and a one-off appearance in Dear John are what I remember best. He was also in an episode of Reggie Perrin too. So sad he had to retire.

Think I'll go dig out my tapes of Secret Army.

Pass on my regards to your dad and let us know when the autobiog is out.

Liked
    0 times
    I am Ron's wife, Yvonne, and he is very much alive. Yes, we did live in Dagenham before moving to Clacton in 1980. We then moved to Ilford and lived there till we moved to Southend-on-Sea in 1998. Ron was at the Chess Club for a little while, yes he was the author of the musical Jack The Ripper and since having a stroke in 1992 has retired from acting. But he has been writing a book about the Mermaid Theatre as he was there at the beginning, directing a minimum of twenty plays and acting in a minimum of twenty plays and was there at the end co-hosting a Celebration of Lord bernard Miles with Nichola mcCauliffe. It will be the Golden Anniversary of the Mermaid in 2009. Incidentally it will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary also in 2009. Hope this clears up a few details.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Thank you for taking the trouble to write in Yvonne, it is really good to hear that your husband is alive and well. I look forward to reading his book when it is published.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shkspr123
    I am Ron's wife, Yvonne, and he is very much alive. Yes, we did live in Dagenham before moving to Clacton in 1980. We then moved to Ilford and lived there till we moved to Southend-on-Sea in 1998. Ron was at the Chess Club for a little while, yes he was the author of the musical Jack The Ripper and since having a stroke in 1992 has retired from acting. But he has been writing a book about the Mermaid Theatre as he was there at the beginning, directing a minimum of twenty plays and acting in a minimum of twenty plays and was there at the end co-hosting a Celebration of Lord bernard Miles with Nichola mcCauliffe. It will be the Golden Anniversary of the Mermaid in 2009. Incidentally it will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary also in 2009. Hope this clears up a few details.
    Nice to hear from you Yvonne, regards to Ron

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm glad to hear Ron is doing well. Please send him regards from the people of this forum as Ron has always been one of my favorites.

Liked
    1 times
    I can't tell you how glad I am to be proved wrong on this one. I hope Ron is happy to know how many people remember him fondly.

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    Can I add my contribution to the list of well-wishers ?

Two chaps always spring to mind as mainstays of British film and TV character playing (and not always on the right side of the law !) Ron Pember and George Innes. Any director must have been well pleased with Ron or George being cast, knowing full well that he was getting the proverbial 'safe pair of hands'...

Even if it was just a 'cough and a spit' role you would always know that Ron would get the best out of it and, in many cases - as is evidenced by the tributes here, end up being better remembered than the stars of the piece !

Best wishes to Ron & Yvonne and hoping for an almighty celebration of that Golden Wedding.

Cheers,

Smudge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast